- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup cold mashed sweet potatoes (prepared without milk or butter)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- GINGER BUTTER:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, orange peel, ginger, baking soda and salt. Combine eggs and sweet potatoes; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. In a small bowl, combine the ginger butter ingredients. Serve with warm muffins. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews forSpiced Sweet Potato Muffins
"These were delicious and will make them again. It was necessary to add a 1/4 C milk to the recipe. It wouldn't have mixed up without it. I used ginger paste. A Couple of spice changes:3/4 t. cinnamon and 1/4 t. allspice."
"I needed to use some butternut squash puree that was in the freezer and some gingerroot that I had candied. This was perfect."
"I loved this recipie and halving it is greatBut it stuck to the path pans I usedAnd it's not overly sweet and I made cinnamon butter instead of ginger and it tasted awesome??"
"Very easy great use for left over sweet potatoes. Not overly sweet."
"My husband and I loved these!"