Spiced Sweet Potato Mash
One year my flight got canceled as I was traveling home. I finally arrived at 1 a.m. the morning of our holiday get-together. I was so tired when I woke up to prepare this dish, but it felt so good when I saw everyone smiling and enjoying what I'd made. —Allison Brummet, Glenarm, Illinois
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a large bowl, mash potatoes. Add the cream cheese, milk, brown sugar and seasonings; beat until smooth. Top with pecans.
Originally published as Smashed and Spicy Sweet Potatoes in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2013