Spiced Sweet Potato Chowder
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 5 hours
Makes10 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 1 pound potatoes (about 2 medium), peeled and cubed
- 1 pound medium sweet potatoes (about 2 medium), peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium fresh beets, peeled and cubed
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 2 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups coconut milk
- In a 6-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 11 ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 5-6 hours or until vegetables and lentils are tender. Stir in coconut milk.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 329 calories, 10g fat (9g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 771mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 15g fiber), 13g protein.
Feb 21, 2020
The worst recipe I've ever made. I actually had to throw it away because it was inedible, and I normally can eat just about anything. The lentils (I used red) cooked down into a congealed mass, and the beets (which oozed red halos around each piece) were completely out of place in this combination of ingredients. The spices were reminiscent of corned beef flavoring, which I like in corned beef but not in a vegetable stew. The whole thing looked like a terrible mess the cat left on the living room rug. It just went down the sink. I signed up for Taste of Home just to warn people away from this recipe.