Spiced Sweet Potato Chowder
At my house, we're all crazy for chowder. This meatless version is loaded with root veggies and spices—cinnamon, cardamom and allspice—that really say fall. —Mary Anne Thygesen, Portland, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 5 hours
Makes10 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 1 pound potatoes (about 2 medium), peeled and cubed
- 1 pound medium sweet potatoes (about 2 medium), peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium fresh beets, peeled and cubed
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 2 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups coconut milk
- In a 6-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 11 ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 5-6 hours or until vegetables and lentils are tender. Stir in coconut milk.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 329 calories, 10g fat (9g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 771mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 15g fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Colorful Vegetable chowder in tasteofhome.com
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.