Spiced Steak Fries with Smoky Dipping Sauce
These oven-roasted potatoes are a fantastic alternative to deep-fried french fries. The sauce is also great on burgers. —Dana Alexander, Lebanon, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + soaking Bake: 55 min.
- 6 medium potatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon chili powder, divided
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup Miracle Whip
- 1/4 cup hickory smoke-flavored barbecue sauce
- Cut potatoes into 1/4-in. strips; soak in cold water 30 minutes. Drain; pat potatoes dry with paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Toss potatoes with oil, 2 tablespoons chili powder, parsley, 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, onion powder, salt and pepper. Arrange potatoes in a single layer in a greased 15x10-in. pan. Bake 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Bake until potatoes are dark golden brown, about 10 minutes longer. Meanwhile, mix Miracle Whip, barbecue sauce and remaining chili powder and cayenne. Serve with potatoes.