Spiced Squash Rings
If you're tired of traditional sweet potatoes, this side dish is a tasty alternative. The cornmeal gives it a pleasant texture, and there's a nice balance between sweetness and spice.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 2 medium acorn squash
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- Wash squash. Cut into 1/2-in rings; remove and discard seeds and membranes. In a shallow dish, beat eggs and milk. In another shallow dish, combine the cornmeal, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Dip squash rings into egg mixture, then into cornmeal mixture; turn to coat.
- Place in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan; drizzle with butter. Cover and bake at 400° for 25 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until the squash is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 195 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 177mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Spiced Squash Rings in Country Woman Christmas 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.