Spiced Squash Rings
If you're tired of traditional sweet potatoes, this side dish is a tasty alternative. The cornmeal gives it a pleasant texture, and there's a nice balance between sweetness and spice.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 2 medium acorn squash
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- Wash squash. Cut into 1/2-in rings; remove and discard seeds and membranes. In a shallow dish, beat eggs and milk. In another shallow dish, combine the cornmeal, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Dip squash rings into egg mixture, then into cornmeal mixture; turn to coat.
- Place in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan; drizzle with butter. Cover and bake at 400° for 25 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until the squash is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 195 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 177mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Spiced Squash Rings in Country Woman Christmas 2000