Spiced Shrimp Boil Recipe
- 1 medium lemon, halved
- 2-1/2 pounds medium red potatoes (about 10), quartered
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 15 whole peppercorns
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 1/2 teaspoon dill seed
- 4 celery ribs, halved
- 1 bunch parsley
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 5 quarts cold water
- 3 medium ears sweet corn, husked and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 pounds uncooked shell-on jumbo shrimp
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1. Squeeze juice from lemon halves into a large bowl; add lemon and potatoes to bowl. Sprinkle with coriander, cayenne, allspice and cloves; toss to coat. Set aside.
- 2. Place peppercorns, garlic, bay leaves, mustard seed and dill seed on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag. Place the spice bag, celery, parsley and onions in a soup kettle; add water. Bring to a boil; cover and boil for 15 minutes.
- 3. Strain, reserving liquid and spice bag. Discard parsley and vegetables. Return cooking liquid with spice bag to the heat; carefully add potato mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Add corn; simmer 15-20 minutes longer or until potatoes and corn are tender.
- 4. Stir in shrimp; cook for 3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Drain; discard spice bag and lemon. Transfer shrimp mixture to a large serving bowl. Sprinkle with salt and toss to coat. Yield: 6 servings.
2-2/3 cups: 263 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 168mg cholesterol, 605mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch.
Reviews for Spiced Shrimp Boil
"I would make it again because my husband and daughter liked it. I thought it was kind of bland, despite retaining the onions and throwing them back in the pot. My family thought the flavor was good. I guess the jury's split on this one."