You've never tasted sausage quite like this before! The secret to this special recipe from South Africa lies in the spices, which include coriander, cloves, allspice and nutmeg. I've been cooking for a while, and this is one of my favorite recipes.
Recommended: Our Most-Loved Recipes for Zucchini
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 2-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- Crumble beef and pork into a large bowl. Combine the seasonings; sprinkle over meat. Add vinegar and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Shape meat mixture into 2-1/2-in. patties. In a large skillet, cook patties over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Spiced Sausage Patties in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2006, p28