Spiced Roast Goose Recipe
As pretty as a picture with its caramelized seasoning rub, this festive goose is guaranteed to be a holiday showstopper! Best of all, it tastes as delicious as it looks and fills the house with an incredible aroma as it cooks.
- 4 cups water, divided
- 2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon soy sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 domestic goose (10 to 12 pounds)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon aniseed
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine 2 cups water, 2/3 cup soy sauce, celery, onion and sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently until vegetables are tender. Remove from the heat; allow to cool.
- 2. Pour marinade into a large resealable plastic bag. Add goose; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours, turning several times.
- 3. Drain and discard marinade. Sprinkle goose cavity with salt and pepper. Place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Combine the cinnamon, garlic powder and aniseed; rub over goose. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 30 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, honey and remaining water and soy sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until reduced by about half.
- 5. Baste goose with some of the honey mixture. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes longer. Cover and bake for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until a thermometer reads 180°, basting occasionally with remaining honey mixture. Cover and let stand for 15-20 minutes before carving.
- 6. For gravy, strain pan juices into a large measuring cup; skim fat. In a small saucepan, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth. Stir in pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with goose. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 each: 887 calories, 59g fat (19g saturated fat), 245mg cholesterol, 1449mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 71g protein.
Reviews for Spiced Roast Goose
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC