Honey, raisins and cinnamon lend a slightly sweet flavor to this moist, Mediterranean-inspired side dish. Try it as a lovely, low-fat addition to a summery brunch or luncheon. Ellen Govertsen - Wheaton, IL
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons honey
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- In a large saucepan, bring rice and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 14-16 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small nonstick skillet, saute onion in oil for 1 minute. Stir in honey and cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in the broth, raisins, curry, salt, cumin and cinnamon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in red pepper and rice until well blended. Cook 2 minutes longer or until rice is heated through.