Spiced Rhubarb Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min. + chilling
- 8 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 3-1/2 cups water, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 lemon slice
- 4 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- In a large saucepan, bring rhubarb, 3-1/4 cups water, sugar, cinnamon sticks and salt to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until rhubarb is tender. Discard cinnamon sticks. Strain rhubarb mixture; discard pulp. Return liquid to the pan; bring to a boil.
- Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; stir into saucepan. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; add lemon slice. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Discard lemon slice. Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 267 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 163mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein.
May 24, 2012
Sadly I ended up disgracing it because not one of my family of 5 would eat it, including me. Sorry, maybe we just don't like rhubarb
May 8, 2010
A year or two ago, I doubled this recipe and took it to a luncheon with a group of ladies. They loved it. I am going to prepare it again this week for another meeting. I substituted Splenda for the sugar and added a few drops of red food coloring.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.