Spiced Rhubarb Pork Chops
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh rhubarb (1/2-inch pieces)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Red food coloring, optional
- 4 bone-in pork loin chops (3/4 inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a saucepan, combine the rhubarb, broth, sugar and honey; cook over medium heat until rhubarb is tender. Stir in the cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and food coloring if desired.
- In a large skillet, brown pork chops in oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour rhubarb mixture over the chops. Cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until meat juices run clear, turning once.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 288 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 181mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 31g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 3, 2011
Sorry, but we really didn't like it. I normally love rhubarb but this didn't do it for me. If anyone makes this, I would suggest using the optional food coloring. I didn't and it was green which is not very appetizing.
May 15, 2010
The rhubarb sauce was sweet and tangy, yet not overpowering. So simple to make. This would be a great dish to make in the fall. I will definitely make it again.