Spiced Red Cabbage Recipe
- 1/2 medium head red cabbage, diced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium tart apple, quartered
- 3 tablespoons tarragon or red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1. Place cabbage in a large kettle of boiling salted water; boil for 1 minute. Drain. return to kettle; stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until cabbage is tender. Remove bay leaf. Yield: 6 servings.
1/2 cup: 78 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 23mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Spiced Red Cabbage
"My mom use to make this when I was a kid to go with sauerbrauten. It was one of my very favorite side dishes! I haven't made it in a long time. The only difference was we don't add the bay leaf or oil. It was great! Thanks for reminding me of an old family favorite! My children enjoyed it also."
"I have made this recipe every Thanksgiving for years. My mother loves it. Leftovers (if there are any) are good hot or cold. I usually double this recipe to assure that we DO have leftovers. :)"