Spiced Pound Cake
From the first time my mother baked this cake years ago, it became a family favorite. Fruit and spices add a twist to a traditional pound cake, and the glaze has a hint of lemon. You can substitute other flavors of baby food, like apricots, for the peaches. We often serve this dessert for Thanksgiving.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 5 jars (2-1/2 ounces each) peach baby food
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves; add to creamed mixture alternately with baby food. Fold in walnuts. Transfer to a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- Bake at 325° for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Combine the glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm cake. Cool completely.