Spiced Potato Doughnuts
Guests will have a touch of nostalgia when they bite into one of these old-fashioned doughnuts. Accents of nutmeg and cinnamon, along with a subtle burst of lemon, make them hard to resist. —June Jones, Harveyville, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
- 2 cups mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, beat the potatoes, eggs, sugar, buttermilk, butter and lemon zest until blended. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and baking soda; gradually beat into potato mixture and mix well.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter. In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Combine sugar and cinnamon; roll warm doughnuts in mixture.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 184 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 232mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Potato Doughnuts in Country Woman Christmas 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.