Spiced Pearl Couscous with Pine Nuts
This side dish is great for entertaining, as you can prepare the topping ahead of time, and the couscous only takes only minutes. Try adding 1 cup drained and rinsed garbanzo beans to boost the protein! —Cindy Beberman, Orland Park, Illinois
Total TimePrep/Total Time:30 min.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-3/4 cups finely chopped sweet onion
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked pearl (Israeli) couscous
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped mint leaves
- 1/3 cup dried currants
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Lemon wedges, optional
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until tender. Add couscous; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until couscous is lightly browned.
- Add water, salt, cinnamon, curry powder, cumin and coriander; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 7-10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and couscous is tender. Stir in currants, cilantro, mint and lemon zest; let stand 5 minutes Fluff with a fork. Sprinkle with toasted pine nuts. If desired, serve with lemon wedges.