VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups uncooked arborio rice
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup apple cider or juice
- 1 large pear, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- In a large saucepan, heat broth and keep warm. In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, red pepper and garlic in butter until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add the rice, five-spice powder and cayenne; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; add cider. Cook and stir until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add warm broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly. Allow the liquid to absorb between additions. Cook just until risotto is creamy and rice is almost tender. (Cooking time is about 25 minutes.)
- Add the pear, 1/4 cup cheese and pepper; cook and stir until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Spiced Pear Risotto in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p14