Spiced Pear Chutney
Try this flavorful chutney on meat or poultry instead of heavy gravy. And this simple recipe is healthy, too. There are 3 grams of fiber in every serving! Marie Townsend - Salem, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped dates
- 1-1/2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 cups chopped peeled ripe pears
- In a small saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook and stir the onion and garlic over medium heat for 2 minutes. Stir in the vinegar, brown sugar, dates and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; carefully stir in pears. Cook, uncovered, over low heat for 40-50 minutes or until pears are tender and mixture achieves desired thickness.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 99 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 88mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 3g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Slow-Cooker Pear Chutney in Healthy Cooking December/January 2009