Spiced Peaches with Cinnamon and Brown Sugar
Canned peaches get special attention from cinnamon and brown sugar in Debbie Schrock's kitchen. "Served warm, these peaches offer down-home comfort," comments the Jackson, Mississippi cook. "Chilled, they make a refreshing treat with frozen yogurt."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 can (15 ounces) peach halves in light syrup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3-1/2 inches)
- Drain peaches, reserving juice; set the peaches aside. Pour juice into a saucepan; add brown sugar and lemon and orange juices. Bring to a boil over medium heat; add cinnamon sticks. Reduce heat;
- simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Add peach halves; heat through. Discard cinnamon sticks. Serve warm or cold.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 74 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 7mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fruit.
Originally published as Spiced Peaches in Quick Cooking January/February 2002