Spiced Mashed Sweet Potatoes
I created these mashed sweet potatoes shortly after my firstborn began eating solid food. She loved them then and still does today, as does her little sister. The recipe is a staple in our home year-round, but especially at our holiday dinner table. —Jenn Tidwell, Fair Oaks, California
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 10 cups peeled and cubed sweet potato (about 6 potatoes)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Place sweet potatoes in a large dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until tender, 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat remaining ingredients until bubbles form around sides of pan; remove from heat
- Drain potatoes; return to pan. Mash potatoes, gradually adding cream mixture.