Spiced Mandarin Orange Chicken
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- Hot cooked rice
- Flatten chicken to 1/2-in. thickness. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt, cinnamon, cloves and pepper. Add chicken, one piece at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in oil and butter for 6-8 minutes on each side or until juices run clear.
- In a small bowl, combine the orange juice, brown sugar and soy sauce. Remove chicken and keep warm. Add orange juice mixture to skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Add oranges; heat through.
- Serve chicken with rice and orange sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 318 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 633mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 36g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit.
Oct 8, 2012
The soy sauce helps temper the sweetness.
Sep 6, 2012
SOOOOOO good!!!! I made stir-fry with this recipe using bite sized chicken pieces. After cooking the sauce, I stirred the chicken pieces back into the sauce with a bag of steamed stir fry vegitables and the oranges. Better than take-out!!!
Nov 14, 2011
The blend of spices, juice, soy sauce and brown sugar make this recipe. The mandarin oranges top it all off! Chicken-flavored rice or noodles are perfect sides.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.