Spiced Hot Chocolate
When my family needs to warm up on a cold morning or evening, I head to the kitchen to make this hot cocoa. The spices are very well balanced.—Hannah Barringer, Loudon, Tennessee
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 8 cups milk
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Miniature marshmallows, optional
- In a 3-qt. microwave-safe dish, combine the first six ingredients. Whisk in milk and water until smooth. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 3-4 minutes or until mixture comes to a boil.
- Stir in vanilla. Ladle into mugs; serve with marshmallows if desired.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 209 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 196mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Spice Chocolate in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2008