Spiced & Grilled Turkey
My fiance loves to grill, so for the holidays we decided to grill our turkey instead of deep frying it. It was the best we'd ever tasted! Having the brine in the pan under the turkey catches the drippings, but also keeps everything nice and moist. Start with the breast down, then flip to the other side. —Sydney Botelho, Columbia, South Carolina
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + marinating Cook: 2-1/2 hours + standing
- 2 quarts water
- 1 cup paprika
- 1 cup chili powder
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) crab boil in a bag
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 medium onions, quartered, divided
- 2 tablespoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled and halved, divided
- 2 quarts cold water
- 2 turkey-size oven roasting bags
- 1 turkey (10 to 12 pounds)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- In a stockpot, combine water, paprika, chili powder, crab boil in bag, brown sugar, half of the onions rosemary, thyme and half of the garlic. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add cold water to cool the brine to room temperature.
- Place one oven roasting bag inside the other. Place turkey inside both bags; pour in cooled brine. Seal bags, pressing out as much air as possible; turn to coat turkey. Place in a shallow roasting pan. Refrigerate 18-24 hours, turning occasionally.
- Remove turkey from brine, reserving brine in bag; rinse turkey and pat dry. Place remaining onion and garlic in turkey cavity. Drizzle oil over turkey. Mix rub ingredients; rub over skin.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat, placing a 13x9-in. disposable foil pan over coals. Carefully pour reserved brine into pan. Place turkey over pan on rack, breast side up. Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat 1 hour. Tent turkey with foil; grill until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170-175°, 1-1/2 to 2 hours longer. Cover and let stand 20 minutes before carving.
Originally published as Smokey Herbed Grilled Turkey in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2017