Spiced Glazed Carrots
Packed with beta-carotene, these carrots flavored with honey, apple juice and cinnamon are hard to turn down. They boast a little kick that brings big flavor to your table! Nancy Zimmerman - Cape May Court House, New Jersey
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound fresh carrots, cut into 1/2-in. slices
- 3/4 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, combine the first seven ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes or until carrots are crisp-tender.
- Discard cinnamon stick. Add lemon juice and honey to carrots. Bring to a boil; cook, uncovered, for 2 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 83 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 81mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 3g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Glazed Carrots with Five Spices in Healthy Cooking February/March 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.