These buttery spice cookies are a cross between sugar cookies and gingerbread, creating the best of both worlds. —April Drasin, Van Nuys, California
Featured In: 21 Christmas Cookies from Around the World
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon each ground cardamom, coriander, cinnamon and cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and extracts. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, spices and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with floured 3-in. cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Decorate tops with almonds, pressing to adhere.
- Bake 9-11 minutes or until light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Originally published as Spiced German Cookies in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2014, p22