Spiced Fruited Hot Cross Buns
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk (70° to 80°)
- 1/4 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground cardamom, cinnamon and nutmeg
- 2-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 to 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- In bread machine pan, place the first 14 ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed). Just before the final kneading (your machine may audibly signal this), add the raisins, cranberries and candied ginger.
- When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 24 portions; shape each into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Combine the icing ingredients; pipe an "X" on each bun.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 160 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 129mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Apr 1, 2010
These are excellent! They are light, low sugar, higher in fiber and whole grains plus they taste great! I've made these several times. I made a double batch this year to take them to share for our church brunch on Easter Sunday. The only thing I did different was to substitute dark raisins instead of the crystallized ginger.