Spiced Fruit Compote
Cinnamon, cloves and ginger spice up convenient canned fruit in this warm medley that's ideal for a cool morning. The recipe was sent in by Thelma Hale from Osborne, Kansas.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 cinnamon sticks (2 inches)
- 12 whole cloves
- 1-1/2 cups orange juice
- 2/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) apricot halves
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) sliced pears, drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) sliced peaches, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pitted dark sweet cherries, drained
- Place cinnamon sticks and cloves on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with kitchen string to form a bag.
- In a large saucepan, combine the orange juice, raisins, brown sugar, salt and ginger. Add spice bag; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 8 minutes. Add fruit; simmer for 3 minutes. Discard spice bag. Serve fruit warm or cold with a slotted spoon.
Originally published as Spiced Fruit Compote in Quick Cooking March/April 2005