Spiced Fruit Bowl
Juicy grapes and handy canned peaches and pears are spiced just right in this delicious dish. Allspice, cinnamon and cloves give the fruit a punch of flavor. It's an easy and wonderful way to add fruit to your morning meal.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + cooling Cook: 10 min. + chilling
- 2 cans (29 ounces each) sliced peaches
- 1 can (29 ounces) pear halves
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cinnamon sticks (3 inches), broken
- 3/4 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 pound seedless red grapes, halved
- Drain juice from peaches and pears into a saucepan; set fruit aside. Add vinegar and salt to juices. Place cinnamon, allspice and cloves on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tid with string to form a bag. Place in the saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the peaches, pears and grapes. Add juices and spice bag. Cover and refrigerate for 12 hours or up to 3 days, stirring occasionally. Discard spice bag before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 133 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 59mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 2g fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as Spiced Fruit Bowl in Country Woman Christmas 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.