Spiced Fruit Bake
Canned fruit makes this easy compote a snap to toss together. Gently spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg, the fruity blend makes a perfect breakfast medley on a chilly morning—or a comforting dessert anytime. —Beverly Coyde, Gasport, New York
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 1 can (15 ounces) reduced-sugar apricot halves
- 1 can (15 ounces) pear halves in juice
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
- Drain fruits, reserving a total of 3/4 cup juice. Place fruit in a 2-qt. baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and reserved juice; pour over fruit. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Serve with a slotted spoon.
- Top each serving with 1 tablespoon of yogurt.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 132 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 30mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fruit.
Dec 28, 2009
Try using fresh pears and apricots instead of canned. I found they were too fragile and kind of disintegrated during cooking, esp the apricots. Otherwise, it tasted OK.