Sue Gronholz of Beaver Dam, Wisconsin turn convenient canned fruit into something special with cinnamon, cloves, rosemary and lemon juice. With its festive flavor, the sunny dish is perfect for a Christmas brunch.
Recommended: Pear Desserts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) pear halves
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 cinnamon sticks (3 inches each)
- 3 fresh rosemary sprigs (2 inches each)
- 4 whole cloves
- Drain pineapple and pears, reserving 1-1/2 cups juice. Place the pineapple, pears and oranges in a bowl; set aside. In a small saucepan, combine the lemon juice, cinnamon sticks, rosemary, cloves and reserved juices; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature.
- Pour over fruit. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Discard cinnamon sticks, rosemary and cloves before serving. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Spiced Fruit in Light & Tasty December/January 2003, p18