Spiced French Toast
"I make this recipe for my family and friends, and it's a hit every time. It fills them up, but not out!" Beverly Haugen - Henderson, Nevada
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Cook: 5 min.
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 2 teaspoons butter
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Place bread slices in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; pour egg mixture over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat butter on a griddle; cook bread for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts3 each: 352 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 223mg cholesterol, 662mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as Ginger French Toast in Healthy Cooking February/March 2010
Feb 14, 2013
For me it was just okay, although my mom really liked it. For me it needed something, maybe a little bit more in the spices and maybe a topping of spiced applesauce, but not maple syrup. I will try this again but tweaking the spices.