Spiced Figs Poached in Wine
If you haven't had figs before, this is a delicious way to introduce yourself to them. The the flavors from spices and wine blend together to nicely complement the flavor of the figs. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1 lemon zest strip
- 2 whole cloves
- Dash salt
- 10 ounces dried figs, halved
- Reduced-fat vanilla ice cream or plain Greek yogurt, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients. Stir in figs. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-45 minutes or until the figs are tender. Remove figs and set aside.
- Bring poaching liquid to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to about 1/2 cup. Strain into a small bowl; add figs. Cool. Serve with ice cream or yogurt if desired.
To Make Ahead: The spiced figs can be made several days before serving.