Spiced Figs Poached in Wine
If you haven't had figs before, this is a delicious way to introduce yourself to them. The the flavors from spices and wine blend together to nicely complement the flavor of the figs.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1 lemon peel strip
- 2 whole cloves
- Dash salt
- 10 ounces dried figs, halved
- Reduced-fat vanilla ice cream or plain Greek yogurt, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients. Stir in figs. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-45 minutes or until the figs are tender. Remove figs and set aside.
- Bring poaching liquid to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to about 1/2 cup. Strain into a small bowl; add figs. Cool. Serve with ice cream or yogurt if desired.
To Make Ahead: The spiced figs can be made several days before serving.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 142 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 25mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 4g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
Originally published as Spiced Figs Poached in Wine in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2011