If you haven't had figs before, this is a delicious way to introduce yourself to them. The the flavors from spices and wine blend together to nicely complement the flavor of the figs.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Featured In: Fig Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1 lemon peel strip
- 2 whole cloves
- Dash salt
- 10 ounces dried figs, halved
- Reduced-fat vanilla ice cream or plain Greek yogurt, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients. Stir in figs. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-45 minutes or until the figs are tender. Remove figs and set aside.
- Bring poaching liquid to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to about 1/2 cup. Strain into a small bowl; add figs. Cool. Serve with ice cream or yogurt if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Spiced Figs Poached in Wine in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2011, p82