Cardamom adds a nice subtle flavor to these spicy, crisp cookies. These treats are perfect for the holidays, but my family asks for them year-round.—Delisa Narr, West Bend, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min.
Makesabout 9 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy; beat in egg and molasses. Combine the flour, spices and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with orange juice. Stir in zest.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/16-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in cookie cutter; place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 6-8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 41 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 41mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as Spiced Cutouts in Taste of Home October/November 1997
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.