Cardamom adds a nice subtle flavor to these spicy, crisp cookies. These treats are perfect for the holidays, but my family asks for them year-round.—Delisa Narr, West Bend, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min.
Makesabout 9 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy; beat in egg and molasses. Combine the flour, spices and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with orange juice. Stir in zest.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/16-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in cookie cutter; place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 6-8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 41 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 41mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Spiced Cutouts in Taste of Home October/November 1997