I like to enhance the naturally good taste of hot apple cider with a bundle filled with cloves, allspice, dried orange peel and a cinnamon stick. It really warms you up on a winter day.—Alissa Stehr, Gau-Odernheim, Germany
Recommended: Homemade Food Gift Packaging Ideas
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 24 whole cloves
- 24 whole allspice
- 4 teaspoons dried orange peel
- 4 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR SPICED CIDER:
- 8 cups apple cider or juice
- Cut eight 6-in. squares of cheesecloth; stack two squares on top of each other to make four stacks.
- Place 6 cloves, 6 allspice, 1 teaspoon orange peel and 1 cinnamon stick on each stack; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 month. Yield: 4 bundles.
- To prepare cider: Place cider in a Dutch oven; add one spice bag. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes. Discard spice bag; ladle cider into mugs. Yield: 8 servings per batch.
Originally published as Spiced Cider Bundles in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2010, p133