Spiced Chocolate Souffles
Diane Halferty of Corpus Christi, Texas submitted her original recipe for this souffle with a spicy kick of heat from cayenne pepper, making it a great fit for the spicy chocolate cinnamon cane sugar. You'll love the lingering heat paired with the sweet chocolate of the souffle. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 2 teaspoons plus 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Gustus Vitae spicy chocolate cinnamon cane sugar
- Dash salt
- Separate egg; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Coat two 6-oz. ramekins with 1 teaspoon butter and sprinkle with 2 teaspoons sugar. Place ramekins on a baking sheet; set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt remaining butter.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons sugar and the flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until thickened. Whisk in the chocolate, spicy chocolate cinnamon sugar and salt until chocolate is melted. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolk; return all to the bowl, stirring constantly. Cool slightly.
- In another bowl with clean beaters, beat egg white on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar on high until stiff peaks form.
- With a spatula, stir a fourth of the egg white into chocolate mixture until no white streaks remain. Fold in remaining egg white until combined. Transfer to prepared ramekins.
- Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until the tops are puffed and centers appear set. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 445 calories, 22g fat (13g saturated fat), 118mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Chile Souffles in Gustus Vitae - Fall 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.