Spiced Chocolate Souffles
Diane Halferty of Corpus Christi, Texas submitted her original recipe for this souffle with a spicy kick of heat from cayenne pepper, making it a great fit for the spicy chocolate cinnamon cane sugar. You'll love the lingering heat paired with the sweet chocolate of the souffle. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 2 teaspoons plus 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Gustus Vitae spicy chocolate cinnamon cane sugar
- Dash salt
- Separate egg; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Coat two 6-oz. ramekins with 1 teaspoon butter and sprinkle with 2 teaspoons sugar. Place ramekins on a baking sheet; set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt remaining butter.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons sugar and the flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until thickened. Whisk in the chocolate, spicy chocolate cinnamon sugar and salt until chocolate is melted. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolk; return all to the bowl, stirring constantly. Cool slightly.
- In another bowl with clean beaters, beat egg white on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar on high until stiff peaks form.
- With a spatula, stir a fourth of the egg white into chocolate mixture until no white streaks remain. Fold in remaining egg white until combined. Transfer to prepared ramekins.
- Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until the tops are puffed and centers appear set. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 445 calories, 22g fat (13g saturated fat), 118mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Chocolate Chile Souffles in Gustus Vitae - Fall 2018