"My mom often prepared this yummy cinnamon and nutmeg spiced treat while I was growing up," reports Lauren Heyn of Oak Creek, Wisconsin. "I have yet to taste a better coffee cake."
Recommended: 16 Coffee Dessert Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 4 teaspoons baking cocoa
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 2 cups buttermilk
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Set aside 1-1/4 cups for topping. To the remaining mixture, add cocoa, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, salt and cloves; mix well. Stir in raisins and nuts. Make a well in the center; pour in buttermilk and stir just until moistened.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Coffee Cake in Quick Cooking May/June 2001, p37
Reviews forSpiced Chocolate Coffee Cake
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 9, 2008
"This recipe sounds delicious, I´ll try it."