Spiced Chocolate Coffee Cake
"My mom often prepared this yummy cinnamon and nutmeg spiced treat while I was growing up," reports Lauren Heyn of Oak Creek, Wisconsin. "I have yet to taste a better coffee cake."
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 4 teaspoons baking cocoa
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 2 cups buttermilk
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Set aside 1-1/4 cups for topping. To the remaining mixture, add cocoa, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, salt and cloves; mix well. Stir in raisins and nuts. Make a well in the center; pour in buttermilk and stir just until moistened.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 348 calories, 14g fat (7g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 259mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Chocolate Coffee Cake in Quick Cooking May/June 2001