- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 cup water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- Shredded cheddar cheese and additional chopped onions, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the beans, tomato sauce, tomatoes, water and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours. Discard bay leaves. If desired, serve in bread bowls and garnish with cheese and onions. Yield: 12 servings (about 3 quarts).
Reviews forSpiced Chili
"Love the flavor - the recipe is heavy on Italian seasonings so we put the chili over noodles (Cincinnati style) and loved it. Will make again."
"Fallowed all directions and didn't like it"
"Will make again!"
"I used venison chop meat, only 1 can of tomato sauce, added some garlic and onion powder, cumin, and some extra of the spices called for. It was delish!!"
"I also added 1 rounded tablespood cumin and some red pepper to taste, depending on how hot you like it. At this point I remove about half of the chili for those who don't like it too hot."
"I used 3 cans of kidney beans and only 1 can of tomato sauce. I also substituted a 48 oz. can of V-8 for the stewed tomatoes and water. This is good...and spicy!"
"Have made more than a couple of times....very tasty"
"my husband loves this chili....it has a wonderful flavor and is very hearty!"