- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped pecans
- 14 maraschino cherries, quartered
- In a bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Beat in corn syrup, egg and cream. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate dough for 2-4 hours or overnight.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- In a bowl, combine the first three filling ingredients; mix well. Stir in pecans. Place 1/2 teaspoon of filling in the center of each cookie. Shape into a cone by folding edges of dough to meet over filling; pinch edges together. Place a piece of cherry at open end of each bell for clapper.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: About 4-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forSpiced Cherry Bells
"These cookies have been in my family for generations too. Delicious! They have always been my favorite Christmas cookies and as a child I would convince my mom to make then year-round for me. The directions should say cut with a round (circle) cookie cutter. You get the bell shape by folding the edges over the filling."