Spiced Carrot Cupcakes
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups finely shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- WHITE CHOCOLATE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 ounce white baking chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon orange extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Chopped walnuts, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. In another bowl, beat the eggs, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the carrots, pineapple and walnuts.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 25-28 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in the chocolate, cream and extracts. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Pipe or spread over cupcakes, garnish with walnuts is desired. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 458 calories, 21g fat (7g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 188mg sodium, 63g carbohydrate (48g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Oct 31, 2019
I made these for my dad’s birthday a couple years ago (his birthday is on Halloween, and carrot cake is his favorite birthday cake, ever). Because I had to mail the cupcakes, I packed them with a tub of cream cheese prepared frosting so that mom could frost when they arrived. I rarely bake with nuts, so I omitted them in this recipe. The pineapple and fresh carrots helped to keep them moist.
Apr 22, 2011
You can't go wrong with these!
Apr 4, 2011
They had a good flavor and are very moist, but quite a few of them fell in the middle and the tops were almost caramelized. They didn't rise right and were all flat.
May 15, 2010
Wonderful! I also added about 1/2 cup chocolate chips to the batter and use an ounce of milk chocolate in the frosting instead of the white chocolate.. very good results!
May 13, 2010
This is really good!
May 13, 2010
Loved it. Going to make them for my party next week.
May 6, 2010
Excellent recipe! The frosting is not overwelming and the cupcake and frosting flavors blend together nicely! These cupcakes are moist and easy to make! Good with no frosting! Yummy!
May 4, 2010
These were the best cupcakes I have ever tasted. I made them for our bake sale at Church and sold all of them for a $1.25 each. Everyone loved them. Thank you for the recipe.
May 3, 2010
Very fast and easy to make. Very moist and they were delicious
May 3, 2010
Great flavor, nice and soft. Icing excellant!