Spiced Caramel Corn
For many years, we prepared this spiced popcorn during the holidays for gift giving. We always had to make a triple batch because no one could stop eating it!—Lee Bremson, Kansas City, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 3 quarts air-popped popcorn
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Place popcorn in a large bowl; set aside. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter, syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil for 5 minutes without stirring.
- Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla and baking soda (mixture will foam). Quickly pour over popcorn and mix well.
- Transfer to two lightly greased 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Bake at 250° for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from pans and place on waxed paper to cool. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 154 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 110mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Spiced Caramel Corn in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2010