Spiced Calico Rice Recipe
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 medium yellow pepper, diced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons picante sauce or salsa
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups water
- Sour cream, optional
- 1. In a skillet or saucepan, saute peppers and onion in butter for 3 minutes. Stir in the rice, soup mix, picante or salsa, cumin, garlic, salt and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender. Garnish with sour cream if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
3/4 cup: 187 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 506mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Spiced Calico Rice
"This goes well with Mexican lasagna or enchilada casserole!! We love the fresh teate."
"This is a very good dish! I add 1# of hamburger, browned and drained, can of diced tomatoes, 1/2 tsp. chili powder. After it is cooked I spread it in a 9 x 13 pan, sprinkle the top with chopped cilantro, chopped green onions and shredded cheese. bake uncovered long enough to melt the cheese. It is a wonderful potluck dish! We love it!!"