Spiced Cake Doughnuts Recipe
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup grated peeled apples
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- BROWNED BUTTER FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Colored sprinkles
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- 2. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and mace; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in apples. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- 3. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
- 4. In a small saucepan, bring brown sugar and butter to a boil. Cook and stir for 1 minute or until slightly thickened. Pour into a small bowl; let stand for 10 minutes. Add cream; beat until smooth. Gradually add confectioners' sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, beating well after each addition until frosting achieves desired consistency. Frost doughnuts; top with sprinkles. Yield: 22 doughnuts.
1 each: 511 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 713mg sodium, 94g carbohydrate (49g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Reviews for Spiced Cake Doughnuts
"My family loved these!!!!! I am going to make them when my parents come to visit. My 6 year old could not get enough of them. I put the left overs in a bag and she ate them all week before school. I did put some in cinnamon and sugar and frosted the others never put sprinkles on them. My husband who hates frosting even liked the frosting."
"I was looking for a spice cake doughnut recipe, and I stumbled across this. They looked so YUMMY. Here is a little tip, for the 1/2 cup buttermilk, if you do not have buttermilk, don't worry. Add 1 Tablespoon to the 1/2 cups of regular milk, and wait about 5 minutes. It gives the acid that the baking powder and baking soda need to make the doughnuts "puff" up slightly when you fry them."
"Can you make the batter the nigh before or would that be too long?"