Spiced Cabbage and Apple Medley
This nicely spiced cabbage-and-apple medley has always been a favorite side dish on our holiday dinner table. We love the sweet-tangy flavor and eye-catching color.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing Cook: 35 min.
- 1 medium head red cabbage, shredded
- 1 medium apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 whole cloves
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Place cabbage and apple in a 6-qt. stockpot. Add sugar, salt, rosemary and pepper; toss to combine. Let stand 40 minutes to allow juices to release from cabbage.
- Place bay leaves and cloves on a double thickness of cheesecloth. Gather corners of cloth to enclose seasonings; tie securely with string. Stir into cabbage mixture.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 30-35 minutes or until cabbage is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in vinegar and lemon juice; heat through. Discard spice bag.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 145 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 334mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as SWEET AND SOUR RED CABBAGE in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.