- 2 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds each)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-3/4 cups water
- Minced fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400°. Halve squash; discard seeds. Place squash in a 15x10x1-in. pan coated with cooking spray, cut side down. Bake until tender, 40-50 minutes. Cool slightly; scoop out pulp.
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat butter and oil over medium heat; saute onions until tender, about 5 minutes. Add brown sugar, ginger, garlic and cinnamon sticks; cook and stir 2 minutes. Stir in salt, squash, broth and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
Discard cinnamon. Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or, cool slightly and puree soup in batches in a blender; return to pan. If desired, thin with additional water or broth; heat through. Serve with parsley.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews forSpiced Butternut Squash Soup
"We loved the flavor of this soup. Will use either less broth or more squash for thicker consistency."
"I love this soup recipe. Very good nice mild sweet and heat flavors. Will make again, cuts in half nicely."
"This is wonderful soup, I did add two small baked sweet potatoes along with one large squash, which I baked together."
"I would normally have given this soup three stars, but I gave it four because it's tasty for such a healthy soup. I think as far as taste and effort are concerned, you're better off making a butternut squash bisque, which will be superior in flavor (but with more calories). Transferring the soup to a blender is kind of a pain, and you should make sure you have plenty of time to undertake this recipe. However - all of that being said, this is a pretty flavorful soup for being so healthy, so I am therefore recommending it. Watch the liquid - I wish my soup had been a bit thicker. See how the first batch comes out of the blender and then modify you water content from there."