Spiced Butternut Squash Soup
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 2 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds each)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-3/4 cups water
- Minced fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400°. Halve squash; discard seeds. Place squash in a 15x10x1-in. pan coated with cooking spray, cut side down. Bake until tender, 40-50 minutes. Cool slightly; scoop out pulp.
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat butter and oil over medium heat; saute onions until tender, about 5 minutes. Add brown sugar, ginger, garlic and cinnamon sticks; cook and stir 2 minutes. Stir in salt, squash, broth and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
- Discard cinnamon. Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or, cool slightly and puree soup in batches in a blender; return to pan. If desired, thin with additional water or broth; heat through. Serve with parsley. Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 131 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 521mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 7g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 21, 2011
I love this soup recipe. Very good nice mild sweet and heat flavors. Will make again, cuts in half nicely.
Oct 29, 2011
This is wonderful soup, I did add two small baked sweet potatoes along with one large squash, which I baked together.
Mar 14, 2011
I would normally have given this soup three stars, but I gave it four because it's tasty for such a healthy soup. I think as far as taste and effort are concerned, you're better off making a butternut squash bisque, which will be superior in flavor (but with more calories). Transferring the soup to a blender is kind of a pain, and you should make sure you have plenty of time to undertake this recipe. However - all of that being said, this is a pretty flavorful soup for being so healthy, so I am therefore recommending it. Watch the liquid - I wish my soup had been a bit thicker. See how the first batch comes out of the blender and then modify you water content from there.
Sep 28, 2010
This soup is delicious! I added coconut as a topping, which gave it a bit more texter and a little sweetness, which was very good, but it was also great all by itself. I will definitely make this soup again!