Spiced Butter Cookies
Santa won't leave any crumbs on the plate when you leave out these wonderful cookies. My mother passed down this recipe for these rich, buttery crisp cookies to me.—Carol Goss, Four Oaks, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup chopped almonds
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt, cardamom, cinnamon, pepper and cloves; gradually add to the creamed mixture alternately with cream. Stir in almonds. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Shape into 3/4-in. balls; place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Cool for 3 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 51 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 41mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Peppernutters in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2011