VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- Chopped crystallized ginger
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a metal bowl or top of a double boiler over barely simmering water, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugars until blended; stir in chocolate mixture. In another bowl, mix flour, cocoa, spices and salt; gradually add to chocolate mixture, mixing well.
- Fill greased mini muffin cups almost full. Bake until centers are set, 12-15 minutes (do not overbake). Cool in pans 5 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small metal bowl or top of a double boiler over barely simmering water, melt chocolate chips and butter with corn syrup, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat; cool until slightly thickened, about 30 minutes.
- Dip tops of brownies into glaze. Top with ginger. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Spiced Brownie Bites in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2017, p131