From Mechanicsville, Maryland, Elaine Green shares the recipe for mildly spiced biscuits that taste best served warm. They rely on convenient baking mix and orange yogurt, so they're virtually fuss-free.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 cups reduced-fat biscuit/baking mix
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons cold margarine
- 1 carton (6 ounces) reduced-fat orange yogurt
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon egg substitute, divided
- In a bowl, combine the biscuit mix, sugar and ginger. Cut in margarine until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. With a fork, stir in yogurt and 1/4 cup egg substitute until mixture forms a ball. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 5-6 times. Roll out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush tops with remaining egg substitute. Bake at 425° for 14-16 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 16 biscuits.
Originally published as Ginger Biscuits in Quick Cooking September/October 2000, p38