- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 beef sirloin tip roast or 1 beef bottom round roast (2 pounds)
- 3/4 cup each chopped dried plums and apricots
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- For marinade, combine the onion, vinegar, broth, brown sugar, bay leaf and seasonings in a small saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Cool to room temperature.
- Pierce roast several times with a meat fork; place in a large resealable plastic bag. Add cooled marinade. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Place meat and marinade in an ungreased 11x7-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 1-1/2 hours. Stir in dried fruit and raisins. Bake 45-55 minutes longer or until meat and fruit are tender. Discard bay leaf. Remove roast to a platter; let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
- For gravy, combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Pour pan juices into a saucepan; gradually stir in cornstarch mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with beef. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forSpiced Beef Roast
"Different but LOVELY flavor! We often tire of the same roast flavors - brown gravy with potatoes. This spiced roast is very flavorful and has a sweet taste. We served it with some roasted butternut squash and it was very good. I love the apricots and raisins - perfect with the spices! I opted to make this in the slow cooker - just poured the marinade mixture on top of roast and cooked for 6 hours on low."
"This is excellent. I served it with with Mandarin Vegetable Medley, Golden Garlic bread (in the same issue) and baked potatoes."